Thursday, May 10, 2007

I didn't buy a cell phone until 2003 ...

So I guess it's probably not much of a surprise that I waited until 2007 to start a blog. I honestly used to think cell phones were dumb. Then I moved to Washington, DC, and succumbed to peer pressure. These days, we don't even have a home phone line, and I send text messages (complete with occasional emoticons) almost every day.

It was pretty much the same with blogs. I couldn't imagine why anyone would ever want to read about the mundane details of my (or anyone else's, for that matter) daily life. And even more judgmentally, I thought it was the epitome of hubris to think someone might. But through their excellent examples (accompanied by much prodding, many reminders, occasional pleading and a life-changing introduction to Bloglines) friends dl004d, Enchanted Pants, Grand Marnier and Dr. SJB proved to me that blogs really do serve a purpose. Several, actually. So here I am ... jumping on another bandwagon, late in the game.

ANYHOW, I'm not totally sure what I'm going to do with The SKBK Times just yet, but for now here are a few cool things I just learned about that I'd like to share:
  • Give your mom a different kind of gift this Mother's Day. In honor of Mother's Day, and mothers around the world, please take a moment to visit the One Campaign and write your congressional representatives and encourage them to support the Global Child Survival Act.
  • Read about and consider using Blackle, the Black Google, to save energy while searching.
  • Want to send an E-card? Save endangered animals at the same time by visiting Conservation International.
Thanks for showing me the way, guys!

4 comments:

Grand Marnier said...

WHOO HOO! Welcome to 2007! :) Can't wait to see what you're going to write!

SJB said...

Wow. I did not see this coming. SKBK? A blog? Verdict: awesome.

dl004d said...

Wait, you've been listening to what we tell you all this time? Uh-oh. I suppose we need to start being careful what we say. Meanwhile, welcome to the publishing world!

SKBK said...

Yes, the busier I get in my tiny little microcosm out here, the more I count on you-all to keep me grounded and attuned to what's important in life. You know, like blogging and cell phones.