Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Please don't put me on probation ...

I've been busy since I last posted on August 9th!

Some day I'll actually get around to posting some photos, but for now here are a few verbal highlights to whet your appetite:

  • My husband turned 30! We had a perfect surprise party for him at our favorite neighborhood bar, complete with 35 of his favorite people (including one of his closest friends, his mom, and his aunt, uncle and two cousins, all of whom came from out of town) special pirate grog, custom-made "robot pirate monkey" buttons and yummy cupcakes.
  • We had 24-straight days of house guests (eight in total) followed by 10 days of travel (we're five days in so far).
  • The BABES DVD of Positive Dreams ~ Weaving Stories of Our Sisterhood arrived, and we had our first public screening (for all the women who were a part of the show and therefore hadn't seen the show!). Copies are available for $10ea and come highly recommended ... by me.
  • We got a Wii, and I learned that I actually do like some video games, especially ones that involve launching plungers at aliens impersonating bunnies ...
  • Melissa and I did the Danskin triathlon (along with 5,120 other women) and, despite a Rochester-like downpour, her aching knees and my two weeks of virus-induced fatigue followed by bizarre low-back pain, we both finished!
  • Allison and I took Maya on her first-ever camping trip. In addition to inventing the perfect, rain-inspired "tent-house" game, "sock-er ball," my two-and-a-half-year-old niece also hiked three miles in one day!
  • Speaking of Maya, she also peed on the potty for the first time ... in the men's room at Red Hook, of course! In keeping with her tradition of doing all of her "firsts" for someone other than her mother, she picked Tio Graham as her chaperone for this particular milestone.
  • G and I went to a wedding at a ranch in Tucson. In addition to good friends, we also saw more kinds of cacti than I knew existed, more kinds of insects than I wish I knew existed, a spotted toad and a tarantula. Did I mention it was 100+ degrees the whole time; that we heard coyotes (and a mariachi band); or that we ate the best salsa I've ever had at the oldest continually operated restaurant in the country, El Charro? (Yes, dl004d, I bought you a jar. You just have to come to Seattle to get it ... ;)
  • After Tucson we flew to Rochester to visit G's parents and some old friends for a few days. So far we've found a new favorite Indian restaurant, eaten Abbot's chocolate almond custard twice, gotten coffee at Women's Coffee Connection, driven around our old neighborhoods and taken Slurpee and Timoteo on a tour of cool area playgrounds.
On tap for the rest of the week: more visiting with family and friends, lunch at DiBella's, dinner at MacGregor's (not the real one, sniffsniff, but MacGregor's nonetheless), and a jaunt to Allegany State Park for a wedding-type, camp-out celebration this weekend, followed by a trip to the Kents' cabin near Naples.

And four days after we get back? More visitors, of course!

It's good to be back ... :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I won a jar of the Best Salsa Ever? Woo-hoo! (It seems, however, that you could use a break from visitors for awhile.)

Meanwhile, have a great rest of your trip!

SKBK said...

I can't believe I forgot to mention Wegman's! We also went to Wegmans and plan another trip to today.

SJB said...

Wow, after all of that other stuff you're going to a Wegman's? A WEGMAN'S?!? Screw the camping and the travelling and the visitors and the Wii (which, um, I'm pretty sure you got before Aug. 9th, just to split hairs)! Live it up at Wegman's! If you think of it, I could use some mud flaps...

SKBK said...

No, no, no. That was Brian & Emily's Wii on which we created your Mii. Now we have our very OWN Wii.

Yay, Wegman's!

SJB said...

But do you still have my Mii on your Wii?

SKBK said...

Yes, all our "favorite" Miis (of which yours was one, of course) were saved.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I don't think I like the tone of the "Rochester like downpour" comment. Especially coming from an effete snob living in Seattle. We are experiencing a major drought here by the way.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you were a triathlete! Awesome! See, now we are sharing blog comments.